Damien Connect/Link Crew
Damien Connect/Link Crew is a high school transition program that welcomes new students and makes them feel comfortable throughout the first year of their high school experience at Damien High School by partnering them with a junior or senior student. As positive role models, Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders are mentors and student leaders who guide freshmen students to discover what it takes to be successful during the transition to high school and help facilitate new student success.
Damien Connect/Link Crew provides the structure for new Spartans to receive support and guidance from juniors and seniors who have been through the challenges that high school poses, and understand that the transition to a larger school can sometimes be overwhelming.
Damien Connect/Link Crew begins with a powerful orientation that allows freshmen to begin developing relationships and strategies that will contribute to their high school success. The purpose of this orientation is to make the transition from middle school to high school a positive one.
|Four Components of Success|
HIGH SCHOOL ORIENTATION
Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders and new students start building the mentor relationship and new Spartans receive information about how to be successful in high school.
Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders and freshmen connect outside the classroom at social events to increase student engagement and promote positive school climate.
Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders support freshman academic success and character development through structured classroom visits.
Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders connect with their freshmen on a more individual basis to develop a personal relationship.
Damien Connect/Link Crew Leaders focus on three important aspects during a Freshman's first year of high school: New student orientation, student retention, brotherhood. It is vital that leaders possess key qualities such as:
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to lead others
- Responsible enough to manage a group
- Accountable to show up through all phases of the program during the school year
- Willing to take risks
- Interest in helping others
- Positive role model
- Self-confident and self-directed
- Has respect for diverse ideas & personalities
- Must be Junior or Senior
Attendance is required for school-day meetings.
- 5/31 - "May Development Day"
- 8/1 - One half-day Freshman Orientation preparation day
- 8/8 - Freshman Orientation
- 8/9 - Damien Leadership Summit
- Monthly - One Link Crew activity per month through the school year. These activities will most likely take place during lunchtime or after school.