Academic Learning Center
Damien offers all of our students additional support in order to ensure success in their academic pursuits.
|Support Team Educational Plan|
The Support Team Educational Plan (STEP) Program is a collaborative process that brings together students, parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators to help students who have a documented learning and/or attention difference find academic success. For students who have a documented need, the STEP Program offers tailored minor adjustments to meet the needs of each individual student.
Minor adjustments can include:
- Extra time on tests, quizzes, and/or homework.
- Testing in a reduced-distraction setting.
- Oral testing.
- Preferential classroom seating.
- Flexible seating.
- Extended time on final exams in the Academic Learning Center.
- Application assistance & proctoring for extra time on the ACT/College Board exams.
- Use of a calculator on exams.
- Copies of notes or presentations.
The ALC also contains a variety of resources to meet student needs both while in the ALC and within their individual classes.
Resources available include:
- Six study carrels that offer a distraction free testing environment.
- Long tables for room to spread out and work.
- Resistance bands, stress balls, and balance discs for students who have challenges with concentration.
- Color overlays for students who struggle with light sensitivity.
- Bean bags for flexible seating.
|Hours of Operation|
The Academic Learning Center operation hours coincides with the weekly school schedule.
Normal hours of operation are Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
During end of the semester exams, hours will vary. Operation hours will be posted a week prior to the first exam.